HONOUR GOD WITH YOUR SUBSTANCE (Bible Text: Mark 14:3-9)
Memory Verse Proverb 3:9 “Honour the Lord with thy substance, and with
the first fruits of all thine increase."
Lesson Aim To teach the children to cultivate the habit of giving back to God
money and resources He has given them. Central Truth -When you give to God, He Will give to you.
The bible makes it clear that honouring God with our substance IS an essential part of our worship to God. God wants you to give freely, willingly, cheerfully and bountifully, not forcefully, reluctantly, grudgingly or sparingly, or with ulterior motive.
Worshipping God with your substance or possession shows that you acknowledge Him as the source and owner of all that you have. it also reveals that you acknowledge yourself as a mere steward or caretaker of God's wealth or resources.
A. Meaning of substance in this context-Your substance can be defined as your offering, tithe , sacrificial offering, freewill offering and financial support to someone.
B. Why honouring God with your substance?
- God commanded it. Mathew 5:42
- It attracts spiritual blessings. Mark 10:21
- it attracts material blessings. Luke 6:38
C. Importance of giving our substances -To support full time workers and missionaries. Galatians 6:6
- To assist needy fellow Christians. Galatians 6:10
- It allows wealthy Christians to be able to give support to God's work. Luke 8:3
- To encourage poor believers to give for God to bless them. 1 Kings 17: 9-16
Danger of withholding and not giving honourable substance
- It leads to poverty. Proverbs 11:24
- It will result into poor harvest. 2Corinthians 9:6
- God will not accept your offering. Malachi 1:7-10
Whatever you have to give, give cheerfully and never withhold from the needy. Always be ready to give to God and His ministers.
You can honour God with your substance today by paying your tithe and offering always ready to support God's work in your church, give to your pastor and missionaries.
InvitationsNote that God will first accept your life before He accepts your gifts. The only way for God to accept you is to surrender your life to Jesus Christ today,
confess your sins and forsake them