Mantuan cuisine at the table: Polvorosa de Pollo
Today I bring you a unique recipe of our gastronomy Mantuana, it is a delicious preparation of the time of the colony, whichthat despite being very rich in texture, flavors and aromas has been left a little forgotten. This is the Polvorosa de Pollo, an exquisite combination between a sweet crisp mass that comes from a Spanish sweet called polvorón and a stew from creole chicken.
The secret of success for this recipe is to make a dough that undo in the mouth and a stew with a lot of flavor that manages to create a contrast of flavors that enamore the palate of each person who tastes it.
What is Mantuan cuisine?
It is the name given to the fusion of ingredients brought from Spain, with ingredients indigenous to Venezuela. In the nineteenth century it was called "mantuana" referring no to food, to the social class that prepared it: Venezuelan descendants of Spaniards who wore blankets to show their status within the society that was established at the time.
Let's do it!
Recipe for 30 people
|For the dough|
|1 ½ cda||baking powder|
|2 cdita||grated nutmeg|
|6 pcs||egg yolks|
|150 ml||white wine|
|For the stew|
|6 units||whole chiken breast|
|1 unit||garlic heads|
|110 ml||of oil|
|3 units||red peppers|
|3 units||green peppers|
|15 units||sweet peppers|
|1 ½ units||leek|
|270 ml||sweet red wine|
|180 grams||stuffed olives|
|90 grams||tomato puree|
|2 cditas||dried oregano powder|
|Salt and freshly ground pepper|
A.- ELABORATION OF THE DOUGH:
Mix in a bowl the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and grated nutmeg.
Add the butter at room temperature.
Cut the butter, with two knives or with a pastry stirrup, to join the flour forming boronitas.
Add egg yolks, oil and wine to the dough.
Knead lightly, enough to integrate the ingredients.
- Place the dough covered with a film in the refrigerator for half an hour.
B.- ELABORATION OF THE STEW
- Cut the vegetables in brunoise.
- Sauté, in a pot, adding a pinch of salt, in the following order: onion, peppers, garlic, leek, chives. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Place the whole chicken breast inside the pot, previously salted. Add a little water
- Once the chicken has been cooked, remove it from the pot, dismele it and put it back in the stew.
- Add the tomato puree, the wine, the sugar, the oregano powder, the raisins and the olives. Cook for 15 minutes and let cool.
C.- ELABORATION OF THE PIE
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and divide it into two parts: three quarts to cover the bottom of the mold and one quarter for the top.
- Stretch the dough between two waxed papers using a roller
- Place the dough on the bottom and cover the walls at a height of approximately 5 cm.
- On top, place the stew and cover with the remaining dough.
- Make some holes with the fork in the dough to breathe
- Bake for 35-40 minutes at a temperature of 350 ° F (180 ° C).
- Leave to rest for 15 minutes before cutting.
NOTE: To serve: La polvorosa is a fairly complete meal. A salad like in the picture would be your ideal complement, in this case it is a green salad with an orange vinaigrette.