Finally the new website for spelmakare.se is live. I started on this project two months ago and after a month it was as good as finished, but then life happened!
I created the website using the Preact template I had made earlier. The development has been smooth, the site could have appeared quite much the same in a much shorter time frame, but as the purpose was to practice creating a responsive web site using web components, I spent time crafting a proper re-useable project.
Most time was spent with Bulma. While a great framework, there are lots of stuff to use and wanted to try different solutions and methods. Styling always seems to take a very long time to do, it used to be because every browser had a slightly different approach to CSS (hello IE!), but these days it turned out to be because the screen size can be two inches at 320px, or 2000 inches at 1000000px. Bulma takes care of this, but you still have to learn the best approach to make everything scale and move around properly. I can't recommend the columns enough, they are magic once you figure out all the details.
I added the ability to translate the site, mostly because it was fun to do and worked well with how the site lazy loads the content. I managed to create data objects that I am quite happy with, allowing for the site to easily expand with new content. It works quite much like any store, add a new package of info and media and voila it shows up in the correct section and has a standardized presentation.
- Serverless and globally distributed to edge locations.
- Integration of new content from numerous social platforms on the Steem blockchain.
- Easily extended by generating pages, menus and content from data objects.
- Possible to translate web site into different languages.
- Is a progressive web app and can be installed on many platforms including: iOS, Android and desktop.