DMSO & LYME DISEASE
WHAT IS DMSO?
DMSO is a prescription medicine and also a dietary supplement which can be administrated orally, topically or intravenously.
DMSO or Dimethyl sulfoxide is an approved pharmacological agent in over 100 countries. Basically it is an anti-inflammatory and analgesic compound that has been around for quite some time. Its safety and beneficial therapeutic properties are supported by close to half a century of research and thousands of articles on its biological implications.
Originally discovered back in the 60s by Dr. Stanley Jacob, it demonstrated incredible anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antioxidant properties. This clear and cheap compound has shown a wide array of potential medical applications such as:
- Alzheimer disease
- Down`s Syndrome
- Drug extravasation injury
- Eye conditions: cataracts, glaucoma and problems with retina
- Foot conditions: bunion, calluses, fungus on toenails
- Interstitial cystitis
- Lyme disease
- Musculoskeletal problems (tendonitis, osteoarthritis)
- Plastic surgery adjunct
- Reflex sympathetic dystrophy
- Spinal cord injury
- Tic douloureux (severe facial pain)
- Ulcerative colitis
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF USING DMSO?
- In combination with antibiotics, can decrease the resistance of a bacterium to the antibiotic (Pottz, Rampey, Benjamin, 1967)
- Acts as a carrier and can transport antibiotics even to the bone marrow and brain (Sanders, 1967)
- Relieves brain swelling and restores blood flow and oxygenation following head trauma (Dr. Stanley Jacob)
- Dissolves the protein coating of viruses, leaving its cores unprotected and exposed to the immune system. Breaks biofilms and increase the power of the antibiotic. (Morton, 1993)
- Alleviates lesions caused by Herpes Zoster or shingles. (Morton, 1993)
- Unblocks sinuses within minutes after being applied topically on the face or in the nostrils of patients with polyps. (Marvin, 1967)
- Helps fight illnesses such as arthritis, fibromyalgia, Alzheimer’s disease, ulcerative colitis and more.
WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS OF DMSO?The use of DMSO can lead to temporary side effects such as:
- Redness of the skin or local hives
- Skin rash and pruritus / Burning or itching sensation after dermal application
- Garlicky -taste, breath and body odour
- Intravascular hemolysis (after intravenous infusion)
- Gastrointestinal discomfort after oral administration (a diluted solution creates less side effects)
- Wrinkled skin aspect when 60% to 90% DMSO is applied on the palm or hand. It may last for several days!
A diluted mixture ( 80 DMSO /20 water) will also reduce burning sensation, but diluting it does lessen its potency.
CAN DMSO BE USED FOR LYME DISEASE?
DMSO offers a rapid amelioration of pain, increases mobility and reduces inflammation when used topically. People can see a positive result within 5 to 20 minutes after having applied the cream. This can last up to 4 -6 hours. (Steinberg, 1967)
THE CONTROVERSY - FDA and DMSO
DMSO had been used an alternative treatment for many conditions, including for Chronic Lyme disease. When applied topically, the DMSO can penetrate the synovial fluid and decrease joint inflammation.
Despite its many beneficial properties and its widespread use, the FDA approved it only for the treatment of interstitial cystitis (chronic inflammatory condition of the urinary bladder), motivating a lack of data on its safety and efficacy for human use.
A study made on horses, showed that DMSO has dramatically reduced the swelling and inflammation in the joints of the animal. So, if it works for animals, does it work for humans too? Some say yes, others say no.
Given that DMSO is an inexpensive compound and it is quite cheap to make it, there is no profit to be made by the pharmaceutical companies. Also it is ineligible for patenting by the big pharma. Due to this controversy, many of its benefits are still unknown and unavailable to the public.
HOW TO USE DMSO?
DMSO can be used both orally and topically. Generally found as a gel, cream or liquid, DMSO provides relief for joint pain more than any other NSAIDs. Note that you must buy the pharmaceutical grade, not the industrial grade which is not intended for human use.
Since it acts as a remarkable carrier, it can be used in different combinations for better results:
- DMSO + antibiotic enhance the efficacy of the antibiotic.
- DMSO + pure B12 with no additive or flavoring for better pain relief
- DMSO + oral fat soluble B1 (Allithiamine), 3-5 capsules per day decreases the pain
- DMSO +B12 +Magnesium oil reduces the fatigue and brain fog
- DMSO + Essential oil (Tea tree oil or oregano oil)
- DMSO + Epsom Salt Gel + Arnica Montana for pain relief and decreased inflammation
Whenever combining DMSO with anything else, ensure not to contaminate the two substances! It is recommended to use a medicine dropper.
DMSO must be completely dry before you add anything else on the area where it has been applied. Keep in mind that is a solvent and it can take your perfume, cream, germs directly into your body!
It is recommended to do the application over an unbleached white towel, using clean instruments and hands. Please ensure you allow enough time (20-30 minutes) for the DMSO to completely dry out before covering the area with clothes or anything else.
Note that DMSO should be stored in a glass container as immune disruptors in plastic may be carried into your bloodstream!
Due to the fact that DMSO can trigger detoxification reactions and it can take 1-3 days to have the DMSO flushed out of the body, it is wise to take it initially only once a week.
You can start with 1/2 tsp of DMSO 50% and slowly increase to 1 tsp of DMSO. You will need to listen to your body and increase it only if you can tolerate the detoxification reactions.
Just start with a low dose of 3.5g (1tsp = 3ml) in a glass of water and wait to see if you experience any improvement of the symptoms. If DMSO helps alleviate the pain, continue to take the same low dose.
In case no improvement is noticed, you can increase in increments of 3.5g per day.
DIRECTIONS FOR ORAL ADMINISTRATION
- Fill a glass of water(300ml /10oz) with grape juice, water or cooled tea and pour 3.5g of DMSO. Do not combine DMSO with tomato juice because DMSO releases histamines from body cells). The juice will help with cope with its bitter taste.
- Stir the mixture as DMSO will go straight to the bottom of the glass.
- It is advisable to take DMSO after breakfast or during the day. DO NOT take it at night, or right before going to bed, because it does have a diuretic effect and it will disrupt your sleep.
- If you are planning to use DMSO on a daily basis, you should take two days off per week. Also when used for on a regular basis for long term, you should discontinue its usage for 2-4 weeks, each 6 months.
WHAT CONCENTRATION SHOULD YOU TAKE AND FOR HOW LONG?
- 50% or less for the face and neck as they are sensitive areas
- 70% or less in areas with a reduction of circulation / poor blood circulation
The greater chronicity of the disorder, the longer the treatment with DMSO must be employed in order to achieve palliation. (Steinberg, 1967)
According to Gabriela Segura, M.D.` Quick Guide and Ailments, the early use of DMSO in acute musculoskeletal injuries and inflammations, the more dramatic the result. She mentions that a mixture of 70% DMSO and water (8-12ml) applied on or around an injury three times per day can have positive healing affect in 4 out of 5 people.
The use of DMSO is NOT recommended for:
- patients taking blood thinners as it counteracts the platelet aggregation.
- pregnant women or breast-feeding moms
- patients suffering from diabetes
- patients with certain blood disorders
- patients with liver or kidney problems/ conditions.
WHERE CAN YOU PURCHASE DMSO?Although you don`t need a prescription to buy DMSO, it would be ideal to have it prescribed by your medical professional, just as safety measure!
You want to make sure that you get a medical grade DMSO without any impurities which can damage your health.
Nowadays you can find it on health food stores, mail order, online or even at Walmart.
HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN DMSO?
If you are worried about preservatives or any other additives, you can make your own mixture.
In order to have your own gel, you can mix in a glass container 1oz of 70% pure DMSO with 3 oz of Aloe Vera gel (99.55% pure). Mix it well and store in a cool place. Ideally would be to combine the two ingredients a few minutes before applying it on the skin.
For a more in depth reading on DMSO, click on the following links:
Do NOT use DMSO without your physician's consent. Please talk to your physician and inquire if it can be used as an alternative treatment for you.
Did you ever used DMSO for Lyme? Did you find it helpful? I would love to hear about your experience! Drop me a line in comments section below!
Posted from my blog with SteemPress : https://a-zlyme.com/dmso-lyme-disease/
Here are other Lyme-related posts:
All of the above posts were written by me, as part of my Lyme Disease awareness campaign. They were originally published on my personal website A-ZLYME.COM .
If you would like to learn more about Lyme disease, visit A-ZLYME.COM. On my A-Z Lyme blog, I post weekly Lyme-related articles which I might re-post on Steemit, in order to increase the awareness about this infamous illness.
Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed it! Feel free to re steemit or up vote it!
Please leave your feedback in the comments, I would love to hear your thoughts!
@2020 LaviPicu aka The Lyme Poet. All rights reserved.