Questions about EOS Block Producer Independence
Recently we’ve been asking a lot of questions as a block producer candidate. Such as:
- Should Block Producers be allowed to own parts of other Block Producer?
- Who Should Safeguard the EOS code Repository?
- Should Block Producers have a disclaimer on Voter Portals they sponsor?
We believe there is value in asking questions and taking a socratic method toward launching the EOS Network and the constitution that will govern it. The EOS Network deserves block producers who will rally to ask the hard questions we are all thinking, and to represent the EOS network values.
We respect the sincere effort made on part of many of the other Block Producer Candidates to work together so closely, and because of this effort it has made it easy to pose these questions we keep asking.
We recently began a discussion inside of many of Block Producer chat rooms, regarding a current proposal that owners in Block Producers are allowed to own 9.99% of other Block Producers. We have been opposed to this proposal and are now asking the community for their opinions.
Why is owning any portion of another Block Producers bad?
- When Block Producers own portions of other Block Producers, they are financially incentivized to collude.
- Having shared ownership removes the independence of Block Producers, which is crucial for the long term health of the EOS network. For example, if 7 Block Producers own portions of each other, they effectively become 1 large Block Producer with a disproportionate amount of power relative to the other independent BPs.
- This financial incentive to keep other BPs in power has corrupted other DPoS networks such as Lisk, and resulted in BP cartels such as Lisk Elite who cannot be voted out by the community.
- If 7 BPs collude, they can block any arbitration ruling or constitutional amendments and effectively stifle the entire chain.
Now is the time for us to discuss all possible scenarios and safeguard against them. We hope the EOS Community including the Voters and Block Producers understand and join us in our position to question everything in due diligence to the EOS Network and Community.
Many Block Producers have already confirmed they agree with our stance; however many have not. Below is a list of all Block Producers who agree that Block Producers should be independent and not own any portion of any other Block Producer:
links coming soon
If the community would like to organize a more formal voting process on this topic we support that as well. Block Producer Candidates please comment below or tweetand we will add you're name and website link to the list above.