Achievement 3 by @dentil Task : Content Etiquette
Thank you @cryptokannon for an opportunity to tell the entire steemit ecosystem that I fully understand the concept of plagiarism unlike before.
As a matter of fact, I am going to elaborate on this task using the format below.
1. Defination Of Plagiarism
2. What can we plagiarise
3. The types of Plagiarism
4. The effects of plagiarism / why we must avoid plagiarism
5. Ways to prevent or avoid plagiarism
WHAT IS PLAGIARISM ?
Plagiarism is the act of stealing someone's information and presenting or submiting it as yours without giving reference to the person.
Some of the things that can be plagiarised include; journals, books, ideas from the internet. General knowledge cannot be plagiarised. For example; stating that the current president of USA is Joe Biden is a general knowledge. With a statement like this, when you state it in essay or a text, you have not plagiarised.
TYPES OF PLAGIARISM
1. Patchment Plagiarism
This type of plagiarism is hard to recognise considering the fact that, the offender picks different ideas from different areas areas and combines them as one piece of work without necessarily referencing the original authors or owners of the individual pieces. It is also known as mosaic plagiarism.
2. Verbatim Plagiarism
This is type of plagiarism is when you copy and paste exactly the words of an author without proper recognition to the author. This is also known as the direct plagiarism.
3. Auto or self plagiarism
This type of plagiarism is committed when you copy and paste the results of a previous assignment done by you without notifying whoever you are submitting it to. It doesnt matter if the words are your own words or the ideas are yours, its still plagiarism.
4. Accidental Plagiarism
This type of plagiarism is committed when the you the individual unintentionally paraphrases or uses a quote from another person without referencing that individual or when you the writer misquote a referenced individual unintentionally.
Ignorance of the law is no excuse
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU PLAGIARISE
1. Plagiarising denies the author of the original work recognition. When you fail to reference, you are discouraging the owner from further works. It is only right of a person to reference wherever he or she had her information from.
2. When you plagiarise, not only does it affect the author, it affects you the writer as well. You lose your respect and its also an indication that you lack creativity as a person.
3. Plagiarism can actually cause your work to be rejected and you are likely to lose your position. This has happen to many prominent persons in society who's image has been tanished as a result of plagiarism.
4. Plagiarism is considered as an illegal act.
An author has the right to sue a plagiarist. Some plagiarism may also be deemed a criminal offense, possibly leading to a prison sentence. Those who write for a living, such as journalists or authors, are particularly susceptible to plagiarism issues. Those who write frequently must be ever-vigilant not to err. Writers are well-aware of copyright laws and ways to avoid plagiarism. As a professional writer, to plagiarize is a serious ethical and perhaps legal issue.Source
WAYS OF TO AVOID PLAGIARISM
1. Reference every information you optain that is neither general knowledge nor yours.
2. When paraphrasing, make sure to go straight to the point and add more of your ideas and words
3. You can avoid plagiarism by passing your work through a Plagiarism Checker before submission.
I have read and understood the steemit Etiquette on steemit community and will do my best to embrace them