2021 Shipping Season Begins - Shipspotting
After a long winter break from shipping, I was excited to see a ship that wasn't a tanker coming up the St. Clair today! Manitoulin (Lower Lakes Towing) was on her way upbound to Sarnia, Ontario. I'm not sure what she's going to be loading this time, mostly it's petroleum products at Sarnia, but that's for tankers, not bulk carriers like Manitoulin is.
These first shots are from Algonac, Michigan. Most of the icebreaking brigade could be seen on Lake St. Clair (except there are no livestream cameras on the lake.) Griffon, Samuel Risley (Canadian Coast Guard), Morro Bay and Neah Bay (US Coast Guard) were all involved in this operation to get shipping moving again.
You can see her case of "dock/lock rash" marring her sides. (Whether it's "dock" or "lock" depends on where she scraped.)
Manitoulin was rebuilt from a scrapped chemical tanker in 2014-2015 and relaunched in Sarnia, Ontario. She is 664' in length and 78'in beam (width). Read more about her from Boatnerd.
Today's images are from:
StreamTime Live - Marine City, Michigan
StreamTime Live - Algonac, Michigan
The sharing of the pictures/cameras is encouraged for the education and enjoyment of all. Please take a look at these cameras on YouTube.
Note: Boatnerd also hosts shipping news, huge amounts of data about almost any "laker" and even many of the "saltie" visitors - and even a book called "Know Your Ships". I would encourage supporting his great work, especially as he has plans to add more cameras in 2021.
If you want to be tagged in future shipspotting posts, please let me know and I'll add you to this list.
(I can also remove you if you wish.)
Crossposted on Hive.
Note: I posted on Helpage India by invitation. i will share in different communities until I find one that really helps support my posts.
Past Shipspotting Posts
- Watching the Ships in Duluth, Minnesota
- Watching the Ships at Port Huron, Michigan
- Trains and Ships on the Mississippi, Fort Madison, Iowa
- Year's End Shipping in Duluth - Dec 31, 2020 - featuring Algoma Guardian, American Spirit, Baie Comeau, Great Republic and Stewart J Cort.
- Persistence Pays Off - Feb 11, 2021 - featuring Morro Bay, Samuel Risley, Griffon and Algosea.
- The Buddy System - Feb 14, 2021 - featuring Griffon, Hollyhock, Algosea, Morro Bay, Algocanada and Iver Bright.
- Downbound Progression - Feb 18, 2021 - featuring Samuel Risley and Algosea
- Upbound Parade - Feb 18, 2021 - featuring Samuel Risley, Algonova, Leo A McArthur and Katmai Bay.
- A Day on the St. Clair - Feb 25, 2021 - featuring Katmai Bay, Samuel Risley, Algonova and Pride.
- Threefer in Marine City - Feb 26, 2021 - featuring Katmai Bay, Samuel Risley and Algoterra
- Algoma Enterprise Farewell post - Jan 5, 2021 - featuring Algoma Enterprise, Algoma Niagara and Joyce van Enkevort - Jan 5, 2021
- Katmai Bay - USCGC 101
- Mississagi's Final Voyage - Jan 5, 2021
Freewrites that include ship pictures...
- Winter, Writing and Winging It - featuring Drawsko and Federal Oshima.
- American Steamship Company - American Integrity,
- Canada Steamship Lines - Frontenac, Rt Hon Paul J Martin,
- Interlake - James R Barker, Kaye E Barker,
- Canadian - Samuel Risley
- BBC - BBC Swift
Two or more ships -
- Burns Harbor & Stewart J Cort,
- Jamna, Sinaa, Torrent and Federal Dart,
- USCG Biscayne Bay - 104, CCG Samuel Risley, Michigan w/ Great Lakes and USCG Morro Bay - 106
No Ships... (on these ship cameras)
This category is for when the camera operator finds something else fun to focus on, like the peregrines around Port Huron or the beautiful sunrise over Lake Superior as viewed from the Duluth Aerial Lift Bridge.
author/designer at A'mara Books
photographer/graphic artist for Viking Visual
(Buy my work at RedBubble, TeePublic, PicFair and DeviantArt.)
verified author on Goodreads
(Buy my books at Books2Read and at LBRY)