Why do we Procrastinate? How to stop procrastinating and get things done! - Quick Read
Procrastination is the action of delaying or postponing something
Everyone puts things off until the last minute sometimes, but procrastinators chronically avoid difficult tasks and deliberately look for distractions. Procrastination in large part reflects our perennial struggle with self control as well as our inability to accurately predict how we'll feel tomorrow, or the next day.
We all procrastinate whether its doing homework, going to work, completing projects or running that errand we knew was due in 5 minutes. Everyone procrastinates at some point in their life and it doesn't matter if you are a millionaire or a dishwasher, we all do it!
Creating this post was an example of my procrastination as I had the thought and idea in my mind but i procrastinated on executing my idea. Instead of creating this 2 hours ago, I did it 2 hours later because of being lazy and knowing that there wasn't consequences for posting it later.
Ways to stop Procrastinating from doctors
Everyone has different circumstances so obviously there is never a one solution to everyone's problems no matter what it is. The tips shown below are recommenced by experts and doctors and may or may not work for you.
- Break tasks down into small chunks
- Start your day with the hardest tasks
- Aim for done over perfect
- Promise yourself you’ll get a reward when it’s done
- Pick the perfect work space
- Remove Distractions
- Listen to music without lyrics
- Set goals and deadlines for yourself
- Get a friend to help you stay on task
- Think of the rewards that comes with completing the task
- Self motivate yourself with quotes or videos
- Don't give up and work hard, always put effort in it
Remember, only you can help yourself, if you don't try then no one in the world can!