A Walk Through A Hidden Redwood Grove in Southern California
Think you have to drive all the way Northern California to see the famous Coastal Redwood trees? If you find yourself confined to Southern California you may be surprised to know that there's a grove of redwoods in a regional park in Orange County.
Carbon Canyon Regional Park in Brea, California is the home of a hidden redwood grove of about 200 trees. Go ahead and enter the park, pay the $3-$5 entrance fee, and find some parking. Take a look around. Looks like a normal park, right?
Surely this can't be the way to the redwoods! Redwoods need water and fog and cold and this is none of those things! Abort Mission!
Oh, hey there! We must be on the right track! Carry on!
Definitely on the right track!
And there they are, smack in middle of Orange County. Redwoods!!
But how did they get here?
Funny you should ask.
In 1970s a local bank ran a promotion: open a bank account and get a free Redwood seedling. In Southern California? Pressumably to watch the seedling slowly die? Madness? Genius?
It seems to have worked alright for at least some of the seedlings. As Carbon Canyon Regional Park was founded in 1975, they took on about 200 of the seedlings and planted them in a grove in the back.
The tallest of the Brea grove is only about 100 feet, so not nearly as majestic as their Northern Californian cousins. They grow to roughly three times that height.
But not bad for seedlings that were 5 to 10 feet in 1975 and who are definitely out of their element, plopped down in basically a desert and wished good luck.
Throw in a quick game of hide 'n seek and you'll have a great morning!
#SoCalSteemit is building and supporting the Steemit community of Southern California. If you are from SoCal and are into creating quality content here on Steemit, we'd love for you to follow us @SoCalSteemit and join our group on Discord
Allow Me to Introduce Myself! | Husband / Father / Humanitarian / Traveler / Expat Abroad
- A Walk In Oak Canyon Nature Center - Anaheim, CA
- @checky Tribute Post
- My Steem Origin Story - eoj
- Proof there is indeed life after HF20
- Share Your World - @eoj
- The Get to Know Me Challenge - Top Ten Posts by @eoj
- A Lakeside Walk in Pokhara, Nepal - A Wednesday Walk
- Street Art in Pokhara, Nepal - A Lakeside Walk
- The First Steemit Sole Survivor Contest - 20 STEEM Grand Prize - Status: LOCKED!
- Giving Back: Nepal - Four Worthwhile Causes to Support
- More Street Art in Bangkok - A Walk Through Talat Noi, Bangkok
- The Stranger Than Fiction Digest - Edition One: Art Gone Wrong
- Personal Finance 101 - Part 1 - Step on the Scale, Get Organized, Feel the Pain
- Street Art in Bangkok - A Walk Through the Neighborhood
- WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT - Think you're well traveled? Name that.... TAIL!
- Giving Back: Thailand - Four Worthwhile Causes to Support
- Why I Disappear from Steemit on Sundays
- Well Off the Beaten Path - Restoration of Saat Tale Royal Palace - Nuwakot, Nepal
- It's July 4th - Happy Birthday America!
- Cox's Bazar Surf Report and the Father of Bangladeshi Surfing
- World's 50 Best Restaurants for 2018 Announced
- How to Overcome Screen Addiction - 5 Practical Tips