Rajshahi City Corporation Mayor: A H M Khairuzzaman
Rajshahi City Corporation is the self-governing corporation that is associated with the task of running the affairs of Rajshahi city. It is one of the major divisional ...
Formation: 11 September 1988 Mayor: A H M Khairuzzaman
Budget: $89 million (2018-2019) Official language: Bengali
Rajshahi City Corporation was established as the Rajshahi Municipality (Rampur-Boalia Municipality) on August 1, 1876. A town committee of 7 members led by a former principal of Rajshahi College was formed by the Government headquartered in Rajshahi College. Most of the members were later replaced by the elected members. Only the tax-payers could attend the election. The administrator and the Medical Officer were also among the members of the committee. Beside this committee, there was also a Municipal Board. In 1884, the committee was expanded to 21 according to the 3rd rule of Bengal Municipality act 1884. In 1921, the headquarter was shifted to the Municipality Building established near Sona Dighi, Rajshahi. In 1930, 8 municipal committees were formed. The members of the councils were elected by vote for one year. Each committee had separate functions, such as public sanitation and health, public safety, welfare, education and water supply. It gained status as the Rajshahi Municipality Corporation on August 13, 1987, and later renamed as Rajshahi City Corporation