RE: Ressolid and the Tokenized Economy
Another idea is at the city level.
Luxembourg city for instance wants to encourage people to use bikes more (and cars less).
From September, the city will replace the classic bikes in its "vel'oh!" public bike sharing scheme with electric bikes.
In order to encourage usage, these will be rented at a a price of ... 1.5€ a month! Yes, less than 2 euros per months, unlimited usage.
Imagine the following scenario:
- city baseline is 20 bike-km per resident per year
- once someone goes over that baseline, they start earning LuxCity tokens (sigmoid distribution to encourage usage and discourage abuse)
- with their balance of LuxTokens, they can pay the parking in the city center (which is actually a big issue for local commerce, a solid voter constituency).
- Vinci, the operator of most underground parking lots in the city centre then sells the LuxCity tokens on a market where local shops can bid but there is price floor guaranteed by the Townhall (from the "mobility" budget)
Everybody is happy:
- Townhall sees more bike kilometers thus less traffic congestion and less pollution
- Luxembourg residents get an incentive for biking more and a parking price reduction for when they go shopping (or when it rains, etc.) in the city centre
- Local shops in the city centre can get more business because parking becomes slightly cheaper and also because they can draw in more business by offering LuxTokens rebates to shoppers
- Vinci pays less in VISA / MAstercard interchange fees (most parking fees are paid by credit card) and by selling LuxTokens on a market with a floor (but no ceiling), they can actually earn more even if overall people bike more and drive less.
This use-case ("parking access token" that you earn by biking) blurs a bit the border between a monetary token and a strict access token but keeping the two types of tokens different was of course never the point. The point of the "Access Token" is rather to showcase the number of activities and interactions that today do not happen and tomorrow could be enabled, facilitated, catalyzed by blockchain tokens.