Mine-Secure - Script to Automate Securing Your Steemit Accounts
Do you have any mined accounts? Are you mining with them remotely, or on a publically accessible computer? Would you like to be able to log into steemit.com with your mined account (or an account for which you only have the owner key)? Then this script is for you!
- Either start steemd locally with --rpc-endpoint
and connect to it with cli wallet:
cli_wallet -r 127.0.0.1:8093
or connect cli wallet to a public steemd client, e.g.,
cli_wallet -s ws://steemit.com:8090 -r 127.0.0.1:8093(See this guide for help)*
- import your key into the wallet if it isn't there already:
new >>> set_password stuff
new >>> unlock stuff
new >>> import_key 5stuff
- In a fresh terminal window,
git clone http://github.com/geoffrey-steem/mine-secure.git
pip3 install -r requirements.py
python3 mine-secure.py [cli_wallet_ip] [cli_wallet_server_port]
- Follow the prompts, and WRITE DOWN your new owner key!
- Backup your new
To be safe, the active key is not changed. If you believe your account has been compromised, this script isn't enough to secure it. You'll have to either modify the script to also change the active key, change the active key manually, or contact me for help.
After running the script, you can use the POSTING key to sign into steemit.com. Put 'your_name/posting' as the name and the posting private key as the password. You can then go to the password page on your wallet and generate a new site password for future use.
You can test the script out by responding 'n' to the "are you ready?" prompt.
I hope you find this script useful, and let me know if you have any questions! I also encourage you to audit the code!
* If you use the public steem node, be careful since it disconnects after a few seconds of idling. I'd advice starting the script as soon as you start cli_wallet, or run steemd locally.