Betty Spaghetti having fun with science: Experiment 4 (Dancing Frankenworms- Reaction between baking soda and vinegar)
Today we are going to make some
You will need the following:
- Gummy worms
- Baking Soda
- Cutting Board and Sharp knife.
- 2 clear cups
- Cut the gummy worms in quarters. (Dust your knife with baking soda or make your knife wet, before you try to cut the worms.
- Fill 1 cup with warm water.
- Measure out 3 tablespoons of baking soda and throw it into the cup with warm water.
- Mix the pre-cut gummy worms into the baking soda and water mix.
- Leave the worms in the baking soda mix for 15 minutes.
- While waiting fill the other glass with vinegar.
- After waiting 15 minutes, fish out the gummy worms from the baking soda mix.
- Carefully place a couple worms in the vinegar.
- Let the learner observe the worms in the vinegar and tell you what they see.
The bicarbonate soda in the baking soda reacts with the acetic acid in the vinegar when the baking soda soaked gummy worms is placed into the vinegar. This in return create carbon dioxide gas bubbles which allows the gummy worms to rise from the surface making them dance. This process will continue until all the baking soda on the worm is used up and then the worm will stop wriggling.
Art Activity: Make a worm
You will need the following
- Paper plate
- Green paper for the worm.
- Paint or crayons (green, brown, red)
- White Paper
- Cut the paper plate into the shape of an apple. Color or paint it red.
- Use the white paper to draw and cut out the two leaves and the apple stem. Color them accordingly.
- Paste the leaves and the apple stem in their correct places.
- Use the green paper to cut little strips. Use one strip and paste the two ends together. String the second one through the first one and paste its two ends together. Repeat the process until your worm is long enough to fit on your apple.
- Cut out a face shape for the worm. Paste the eyes and draw a mouth. Paste the face on the rest of the worm.
- Paste the worm on the apple.
See you again soon!!
Team South Africa banner designed by @bearone